Pronunciation: /ˈi.vən ˈfʌŋk.ʃən/ Explain
Click on the blue point and drag it to change the figure. Click on the check boxes to show different functions.|
A function is even if, for every x, f(x)=f(-x).
|Manipulative 1 - Even Function Created with GeoGebra.||
An even function is a
which, for any value of x,
f(-x) = f(x).
Even functions are symmetrical about the y-axis.
Manipulative 1 shows functions that are even. Manipulative 2 shows functions that
are not even.
Click on the blue point and drag it to change the figure.|
For which point does f(x) = f(-x)
|Manipulative 2 - Example of a function that is NOT even Created with GeoGebra.|
- McAdams, David E.. All Math Words Dictionary, even function. 2nd Classroom edition 20150108-4799968. pg 73. Life is a Story Problem LLC. January 8, 2015. Buy the book
- even. merriam-webster.com. Encyclopedia Britannica. Merriam-Webster. Last Accessed 7/9/2018. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/even. Buy the book
- Rong Yang. A-Plus Notes for Algebra. pp 137-138. A-Plus Notes Learning Center. October 1, 2006. Last Accessed 7/9/2018. Buy the book
- Mary Jane Sterling. Algebra II For Dummies. pp 104-106. For Dummies. June 19, 2006. Last Accessed 7/9/2018. Buy the book
- McAdams, David E.. Odd Function. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 3/12/2009. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/o/oddfunction.html.
Cite this article as:
McAdams, David E. Even Function. 4/20/2019. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/e/evenfunction.html.
4/20/2019: Updated expressions and equations to match new format. (McAdams, David E.)
12/21/2018: Reviewed and corrected IPA pronunication. (McAdams, David E.)
7/5/2018: Removed broken links, updated license, implemented new markup, implemented new Geogebra protocol. (McAdams, David E.)
1/6/2009: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)