Pronunciation: /ɒd ˈnʌm.bər/ Explain
is odd if it is not evenly divisible
by 2. Expressed
mathematically, odd integers are in the form 2k+1 where k
is an integer. In set notation, odd integers are
Properties of odd numbers
- The sum of two odd numbers is an even number.
- The sum of two consecutive numbers is always odd.
- The sum of an even and an odd number is always odd.
- McAdams, David E.. All Math Words Dictionary, odd number. 2nd Classroom edition 20150108-4799968. pg 129. Life is a Story Problem LLC. January 8, 2015. Buy the book
- odd. merriam-webster.com. Encyclopedia Britannica. Merriam-Webster. Last Accessed 9/5/2018. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/odd. Buy the book
- Antonella Cupillari. The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, Third Edition: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs. 3rd edition. pg 12. Academic Press. June 3, 2005. Last Accessed 9/5/2018. Buy the book
- McAdams, David E.. Even Number. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 3/12/2009. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/e/evennumber.html.
Cite this article as:
McAdams, David E. Odd Number. 3/26/2019. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/o/oddnumber.html.
12/21/2018: Reviewed and corrected IPA pronunication. (McAdams, David E.)
9/5/2018: Removed broken links, updated license, implemented new markup. (McAdams, David E.)
12/21/2009: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)
1/4/2009: Changed equation to image. (McAdams, David E.)
8/26/2008: Added 'More Information'. (McAdams, David E.)
7/8/2008: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)