Pronunciation: /ɒd ˈnʌm bər/ ?
is odd if it is not evenly divisible by 2. Expressed
mathematically, odd integers are in the form 2k+1 where k
is an integer. In set notation, odd integers are
Properties of odd numbers
- The sum of two odd numbers is an even number.
- The sum of two consecutive numbers is always odd.
- The sum of an even and an odd number is always odd.
- odd. merriam-webster.com. Encyclopedia Britannica. (Accessed: 2009-12-21). http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/odd.
- Antonella Cupillari. The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, Third Edition: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs, 3rd edition, pg 12. # Academic Press, June 3, 2005. (Accessed: 2010-02-01).
- McAdams, David. Even Number. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 2009-03-12. http://www.allmathwords.org/article.aspx?lang=en&id=Even%20Number.
- Even and Odd Numbers. aaamath.com. 2009-03-12. http://www.aaamath.com/g25a2-evenodd.html.
Cite this article as:
Odd Number. 2009-12-21. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/o/oddnumber.html.
2009-12-21: Added "References" (McAdams, David.
2009-01-04: Changed equation to image (McAdams, David.
2008-08-26: Added 'More Information' (McAdams, David.
2008-07-08: Initial version (McAdams, David.