One to One Correspondence
Pronunciation: /wʌn tu wʌn ˌkɔr.əˈspɒn.dəns/ Explain
A one to one correspondence between two
exists if a
exists between the two sets such that each member of the first set maps
to exactly one member of the second set and each member of the second set
maps to exactly one member of the first
one to one mapping is the same thing as a one
to one correspondence. A correspondence that is one to one is also called
Examples of One to One Correspondence
- y = 2x is a one to
one correspondence between two sets of real numbers
(x, y): (-1,-2), (-0.5,-1), (0,0),
(1,2), (3,6), ….
- The set of integers has a one to one correspondence to the set of
Examples of Mappings That are not One to One
- y = x2 is not
a one to one correspondence between two sets of real numbers. Both
x = -1 and
x = 1 map to
y = 1.
- The set of integers does not have a one to one correspondence
to the set of real numbers.
- McAdams, David E.. All Math Words Dictionary, one to one correspondence. 2nd Classroom edition 20150108-4799968. pg 130. Life is a Story Problem LLC. January 8, 2015. Buy the book
- Maddocks, J. R.. One-to-One Correspondence. jrank.org. Last Accessed 9/5/2018. http://science.jrank.org/pages/4861/One-One-Correspondence.html.
- Bettinger, Alvin K. and Englund, John A.. Algebra and Trigonometry. pp 49-50. www.archive.org. International Textbook Company. January 1963. Last Accessed 9/5/2018. http://www.archive.org/stream/algebraandtrigon033520mbp#page/n66/mode/1up/search/correspondence. Buy the book
- Gilbert, Jimmie; and Gilbert Linda. Elements of Modern Algebra. 6th edition. pg 17. Thomson, Brooks/Cole. 2005. Last Accessed 9/5/2018. Buy the book
Cite this article as:
McAdams, David E. One to One Correspondence. 4/27/2019. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/o/onetoonecorrespondence.html.
4/27/2019: Changed equations and expressions to new format. (McAdams, David E.)
12/21/2018: Reviewed and corrected IPA pronunication. (McAdams, David E.)
9/5/2018: Removed broken links, updated license, implemented new markup. (McAdams, David E.)
8/7/2018: Changed vocabulary links to WORDLINK format. (McAdams, David E.)
5/5/2011: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)