Pronunciation: /ˈyun yən/ ?
|Figure 1: Click on the image to see a representation of C = A ∪ B.||
A union of two or more sets is the set containing
all the members of each of the sets. We say, "Set C
is the union of sets A and B."
We write C = A ∪ B.
Properties of Union of Sets
|Commutative||A ∪ B = B ∪ A||The union of sets is commutative|
|Associative||(D ∪ E) ∪ F = D ∪ (E ∪ F)||The union of sets is associative|
|Distributive||(D ∩ E) ∪ F = (D ∪ F) ∩ (E ∪ F)|
(D ∪ E) ∩ F = (D ∩ F) ∪ (E ∩ F)
|The intersection and union of sets are distributive|
- Goldrei, D.C.. Classic Set Theory: For Guided Independent Study, pg 4. Chapman & Hall Mathematics, July 1, 1996.
- Gilbert, Jimmie; and Gilbert Linda. Elements of Modern Algebra, 6th edition, pg 5. Thomson, Brooks/Cole, 2005.
- Union. http://wordnet.princeton.edu/. WordNet. Princeton University. (Accessed: 2011-01-08). http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=union&sub=Search+WordNet&o2=&o0=1&o7=&o5=&o1=1&o6=&o4=&o3=&h=.
- McAdams, David. Sets. LifeIsAStoryProblem.org. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 2009-03-12. http://www.lifeisastoryproblem.org/algebra/sets.html.
- McAdams, David. Set. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 2009-12-15. http://www.allmathwords.org/article.aspx?lang=en&id=Set.
Cite this article as:
Union. 2008-09-15. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/u/union.html.
2008-09-15: Expanded 'More Information' (McAdams, David.
2008-03-28: Added properties of union of sets (McAdams, David.
2007-08-01: Initial version (McAdams, David.