Pronunciation: /ɪˈkwɪv ə ləns rɪˈleɪ ʃən/ Explain
An equivalence relation is a relationship on a
that shows equality. An example of an equivalence
relation on the set of
is: 5 = 7 + x.
In the table below, R represents the relationship.
Properties of Equivalence Relations
|Property||General Example||Example With Real Numbers||Description|
|Reflexive||a R a||5 = 5||A relationship is reflexive if, for every member a of the set, a R a.|
|Symmetric||a R b implies b R a||If a = b then b = a||A relationship is symmetric if, for every relation a R b on the set, b R a holds.|
|Transitive||a R b and b R c implies a R c||If a = b and b = c, then a = c||A relationship is transitive if, the relationships a R b and b R c imply a R c.|
- equivalence relation. merriam-webster.com. Encyclopedia Britannica. Merriam-Webster. Last Accessed 8/6/2018. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equivalence relation.
- Gilbert, Jimmie; and Gilbert Linda. Elements of Modern Algebra. 7th edition. pp 55-56. Thomson, Brooks/Cole. 2005. Buy the book
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson. Relation Algebras by Games, Volume 147. pg 27. North Holland. August 29, 2002. Buy the book
- T. S. Blyth, E. F. Robertson. Algebra Through Practice: Volume 1, Sets, Relations and Mappings: A Collection of Problems in Algebra with Solutions. pp 6-14. Cambridge University Press. December 28, 1984. Buy the book
- McAdams, David E.. Equal. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 3/12/2009. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/e/equal.html.
Cite this article as:
McAdams, David E. Equivalence Relation. 7/10/2018. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/e/equivalencerelation.html.
7/5/2018: Removed broken links, updated license, implemented new markup, implemented new Geogebra protocol. (McAdams, David E.)
7/26/2008: Added wikipedia to more information. (McAdams, David E.)
4/25/2008: Clarified wording. (McAdams, David E.)
3/31/2008: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)