Pronunciation: /ɪnˈvɜr sli prə-ˈpȯr-sh nə1/ ?
are inversely proportional if the
of one has a
with the other. A general equation for variables that are inversely proportional is
In this equation x and
y are the variables that are inversely proportional. a is the
constant of variation.
An example of variables that are inversely proportional is the time it takes to make a
trip as a function of speed. The faster you go, the quicker (less time) you get there.
This can be expressed with the function
where t(s) is the time it takes to make the
trip, 100 is the distance, and
s is the speed of travel.
- inversely proportional. merriam-webster.com. Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Merriam-Webster Online, 2010. (Accessed: 2010-03-02). http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inversely%20proportional.
- Davies, Charles. New Elementary Algebra : Embracing the First Principles of the Science, pp 274-275. Barnes & Burr, Publishers, 1864. (Accessed: 2010-03-02). http://www.archive.org/stream/newelementaryalg00daviiala#page/274/mode/1up/search/inversely.
- Underwood,Ralph S.; Nelson,Thomas R.; Selby,Samuel.. Intermediate Algebra, pp 218-219. The Macmillan Company, 1947. (Accessed: 2010-03-02). http://www.archive.org/stream/intermediatealge033585mbp#page/n219/mode/1up/search/inversely.
- Rong Yang. A-Plus Notes for Beginning Algebra: Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1, revised edition, pg 269. A-Plus Notes Learning Center, January 1, 2006.
- McAdams, David. Proportional. allmathwords.org. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. 2009-03-12. http://www.allmathwords.org/article.aspx?lang=en&id=Proportional.
Cite this article as:
Inversely Proportional. 2010-03-02. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/i/inverselyproportional.html.
2010-03-02: Added "References" (McAdams, David.
2008-08-13: Added general equation for inverse proportion. Changed equation t(s)=100/s to hot_eqn. Added vocabulary link for 'multiplicative inverse' (McAdams, David.
2008-07-07: Corrected link errors. Corrected spelling (McAdams, David.
2007-07-12: Initial version (McAdams, David.