|Manipulative 1: Rhombus. Created with GeoGebra.||
A rhombus is a four-sided
with opposite sides parallel and all sides the same length.
Properties of a Rhombus
- A rhombus is equilateral. All sides are the same length.
- Opposite sides of a rhombus are parallel.
- All rhombuses are polygons
- All rhombuses are quadrilaterals.
- All rhombuses are parallelograms.
- Squares are special cases of a rhombus whose sides meet at right angles.
- The opposite angles of a rhombus are congruent.
- The diagonals of a rhombus bisect each other.
- Each diagonal bisects the rhombus into two congruent triangles.
- The sums of the angles of a rhombus is 360° or 2π radians.
- A tesselation of a plane can be created using any rhombus.
- The area of a rhombus is A = bh where A is the area, b is the base and h is the height.