Pronunciation: /ˈrɒm.bəs/ Explain
Click on the blue points and drag them to change the figure.|
Can a rhombus also be a square?
|Manipulative 1 - Rhombus Created with GeoGebra.||
A rhombus is a four-sided
with opposite sides parallel and all sides the same length.
Properties of a Rhombus
- A rhombus is equilateral.
All sides are the same length.
- Opposite sides of a rhombus are parallel.
- All rhombuses are polygons.
- All rhombuses are quadrilaterals.
- All rhombuses are parallelograms.
are special cases of a rhombus whose sides meet at right angles.
- The opposite angles of a rhombus are congruent.
- The diagonals
of a rhombus bisect
- Each diagonal bisects the rhombus into two congruent triangles.
- The sum of the angles of a rhombus is 360° or
- A tiling of a plane can be created using any rhombus.
- The area of a rhombus is A = bh
where A is the area,
b is the base and
h is the height.
- McAdams, David E.. All Math Words Dictionary, rhombus. 2nd Classroom edition 20150108-4799968. pg 156. Life is a Story Problem LLC. January 8, 2015. Buy the book
- Stöcker, K.H.. The Elements of Constructive Geometry, Inductively Presented. pg 24. Translated by Noetling, William A.M, C.E.. www.archive.org. Silver, Burdett & Company. 1897. Last Accessed 12/4/2018. http://www.archive.org/stream/elementsofconstr00noetrich#page/24/mode/1up. Buy the book
- Convex. ams.org. Geometry Glossary. American Mathematical Society. Last Accessed 12/4/2018. http://www.ams.org/featurecolumn/archive/geometry-glossary.html.
Cite this article as:
McAdams, David E. Rhombus. 5/2/2019. All Math Words Encyclopedia. Life is a Story Problem LLC. http://www.allmathwords.org/en/r/rhombus.html.
5/2/2019: Changed equations and expressions to new format. (McAdams, David E.)
12/21/2018: Reviewed and corrected IPA pronunication. (McAdams, David E.)
12/5/2018: Removed broken links, updated license, implemented new markup, implemented new Geogebra app. (McAdams, David E.)
8/28/2018: Corrected spelling. (McAdams, David E.)
8/7/2018: Changed vocabulary links to WORDLINK format. (McAdams, David E.)
12/31/2009: Initial version. (McAdams, David E.)